Heddy Love Timeline

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Was it to be or not to be? That is the question.

I was doing a little online pregnancy research yesterday, specifically what you can and cannot eat while pregnant and here is what I found out:

The American Pregnancy Association states that women that are pregnant should avoid:
  •      Deli Meats*
  •      Fish with Mercury
  •      Smoked Seafood*
  •      Fish Exposed to Industrial Pollutants
  •      Raw Shellfish
  •      Raw Eggs
  •      Soft Cheeses*
  •      Unpasteurized Milk*
  •      Pate*
  •      Caffeine
  •      Alcohol
The items that have an asterisk can all contain listeria which has the ability to cross the placenta and may infect the baby leading to infection or blood poisoning, which can be life-threatening. 

That prompted me to start thinking about the things I consumed when I was pregnant last year.  At the time, I didn't know I was pregnant and Josh and I went on a 10 day vacation through the Northeast.  We went to Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island and Massachusets.  The entire trip was a feast of fresh lobster, shrimp, fish, oysters, muscles and crab not to mention sandwiches and alcohol. 

Considering that I ate copious amounts of seafood/fish and drank like one, could that have been a contributing factor to the loss of our baby?  I miscarried 6 days after we got back.  I'll never know the answer to that question, but you can guarantee that all of the items on that list are now officially off my diet!   You know... just in case...

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/foodstoavoid.html


No comments:

Post a Comment