Heddy Love Timeline

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Will we go on?

Many couples dealing with fertility issues keep it to themselves. Some people see it as a private matter they are uncomfortable discussing with their family  and friends.  And then there's me... I have a blog that updates those that are interested and anyone in the world that googles IVF/IUI. 

Personally it helps me "journal" my thoughts and gets them off my chest in a way that talking doesn't.  It allows me to put things down in writing that I can't always express the way I intend to verbally.  In fact, when I've gone a few days without writing this, I'm constantly thinking about what I should write about next.  What should I or shouldn't I divulge?  What is too personal and what is PG?  At what point do I say "that's enough" and take back my personal struggle and desist from writing this blog?  Is this helping anyone besides me by getting stuff off my chest or is it just another voyeuristic way to peek inside my life? 

Since I'm not sure that I'm ready to give up this blog, I'll share with you some information I found recently that I think is interesting:

*  Studies show that infertility can cause the same degree of stress as a diagnosis of cancer, HIV or a heart attack. We generally share these other critical life events with those close to us and, because of that, usually receive the support and understanding we need to get through those tough times. Fertility patients miss out on that love and understanding when they don’t share their struggle. In fact, many fertility patients have the extra burden of dealing with thoughtless, unwelcome comments and questions related to their “childless” status.

*  Infertility is NOT an inconvenience; it is a disease of the reproductive system that impairs the body's ability to perform the basic function of reproduction.

Please remember these two facts when dealing with or coming across those that are struggling with infertility.  Those of us living through it can tell the whole world what's going on, but believe me, you still feel very alone.  Reach out to those going through it with an encouraging word, a shoulder to cry on, a hug, and/or an ear.  You don't have to say much (except encouragement).  Just knowing that you care makes a world of difference. 

Resources:
Freedom Fertility http://blog.freedomfertility.com/
American Society for Reproductive Medicine http://www.asrm.org/detail.aspx?id=2322

No comments:

Post a Comment